< GO BACK
Savory Breakfast Skillet
Breakfast / Brunch, Main Dish
What you’ll need
1 Prairie Fresh® pork tenderloin
1/2 pound Daily's® hickory smoked original thick cut bacon, diced small
3 tablespoons high butterfat butter
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
1 medium sweet onion, sliced thick
10-12 tricolored mini poivrons (aka mini sweet peppers), seeds removed and sliced
1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh sage leaves, minced
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
How to prepare
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- To prepare rub, combine black pepper, salt, sage, thyme, cloves and brown sugar in a small bowl. When stirring together, press mixture against sides of bowl to release the oils and aromatics of the sage. Set rub aside.
- Slice pork tenderloin crosswise into 2-inch thick slices, yielding about 4 to 5 slices. Lightly salt and pepper both sides and set aside.
- In a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat, render down bacon pieces. Careful not to burn bacon grease. Set cooked bacon aside, reserve bacon grease in skillet
- Over medium-high heat, brown all sides of pork tenderloin slices in bacon grease, approximately 2 minutes on each side. Remove pork from skillet and set aside.
- Brown onions and peppers in skillet with remaining bacon grease until slightly softened, about 3 to 5 minutes. Remove onions and peppers from skillet and set aside.
- In skillet, add 3 tablespoons butter, sweet potato pieces and rub. Sauté potatoes covered over medium heat until potatoes start to soften in about 5 to 7 minutes. Stir often to prevent burning of brown sugar in rub.
- When sweet potato pieces become slightly softened, stir in onions and peppers, then place pork slices in skillet.
- Crack raw eggs on top of potatoes, between pork pieces. Cover skillet with lid and place in preheated oven.
- When pork slices reach internal temperature of 145 F and eggs are cooked over-easy, about 8 minutes, pull skillet from oven.
- Drizzle pure maple syrup over skillet and garnish with cooked bacon pieces.
SOURCE: The Shed Barbeque and Blues Joint™