< BACK TO ALL RECIPES
Pork Tenderloin with a Bacon Weave
Source: The National Pork Board
What You’ll Need
1 Prairie Fresh® pork tenderloin
2 pounds Prairie Fresh USA Prime® bacon
1 pound Prairie Fresh® ground pork
1 teaspoon ground sage
3 ½ teaspoon kosher salt (divided)
1 ¾ teaspoon black pepper (divided)
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
½ teaspoon brown sugar
1 cup apple cider vinegar
½ cup ketchup
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons BBQ rub
¼ cup bacon fat
1 teaspoon garlic (chopped)
1 teaspoon parsley (chopped)
1 cup pearl onions (peeled and trimmed)
1 sweet potato (peeled)
12 fingerling potatoes
2 parsnips (peeled)
3 carrots (peeled)
1 bunch cluster tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- For the bacon weave, lay 8 to 9 strips of bacon vertically across a piece of plastic film or parchment paper, flush against each other. Fold every other strip in half onto itself. Lay one strip of bacon perpendicular to those strips, flush against the back of the folds. Unfold the flipped strips back over the perpendicular strip of bacon. Now fold every other strip in the alternating columns. Lay one strip of bacon perpendicular to those strips, flush against the back of the folds. Unfold those strips back down over the perpendicular strip of bacon. Repeat again with the first set of strips. Do the same thing on the upper half of the weave. There should be the same number of strips going down as there are going across.
- For the homemade pork sausage, combine 1 pound of ground pork, 1 teaspoon of ground sage, 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt, 1 ½ teaspoons black pepper, ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper, ½ teaspoon brown sugar and mix thoroughly. Cook all raw ground pork to an internal temperature of 160 F.
- Place the pork sausage in the center of the bacon weave and cover with plastic film. With a rolling pin, evenly roll the sausage to the edges of the bacon weave. Remove the plastic film.
- Season the pork tenderloin with kosher salt and black pepper. Place the tenderloin on the center of the sausage layer. Lifting the plastic film/parchment paper, roll the bacon weave and sausage layer around the pork tenderloin. Transfer the wrapped pork tenderloin to a new piece of plastic film and roll it towards you while holding the ends, which will tighten the entire wrapped pork tenderloin.
- Transfer the tenderloin to a baking rack on a sheet tray.
- Bake at 400 F, until internal temperature has reached 145 F. Remove the pork tenderloin from the oven and let rest for 15 minutes.
- For the pig dip, combine ingredients above, with 2 teaspoons kosher salt and ¼ teaspoon black pepper, and whisk to combine. Serve chilled or heated with
- For the pig butter, strain ¼ cup of bacon fat through a coffee filter and chill in the refrigerator until set. Stir in 1 teaspoon chopped garlic and 1 teaspoon chopped parsley.
- Peel and cut the vegetables into even sized pieces, toss them with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place vegetables in an even layer on a roasting tray and roast at 400 F for approximately 45 minutes or until tender. To finish, toss the vegetables in pig butter.