< BACK TO ALL RECIPES
Cheesy Green Chile Pork Enchiladas
Source: Melissa Cookston
What You’ll Need
1 Prairie Fresh® Signature boneless pork shoulder with green chile seasonings
1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
8 tortillas, corn or flour
1 cup mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup canola oil
chopped cilantro, for garnish
For the green enchilada sauce:
5-6 Anaheim peppers
1-2 jalapeno peppers (optional, if you want a spicier sauce)
2 poblano peppers
8-10 tomatillos, shucked, washed and cut in half
4 cloves garlic
1 medium onion, cut into chunks
1 bunch cilantro, stems removed, and leaves chopped
1 teaspoon ground cumin
salt and pepper, to taste
- Cut pork roast according to package directions; then remove and shred with forks. Allow meat to cool.
- After the meat is done cooking, make the sauce.
- Set oven to 350 F.
- Toss tomatillos with olive oil, place on a small oven pan and put in oven.
- Toss peppers, onion and garlic with olive oil, place on a separate pan and put in oven. Roast 20-30 minutes or until peppers are browned.
- Remove both pans from oven. Place peppers in a resealable bag for 20 minutes to cool.
- Wearing gloves, peel skins from peppers and remove stems and seeds.
- Place peppers, garlic, onion, cilantro and tomatillos in a blender and puree. Adjust flavor with salt, pepper and cumin.
- In a bowl, add 1 1/2 cups of cooled shredded pork, cheddar cheese and 3/4 cup of the prepared sauce. Mix well.
- Spray casserole dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Heat oil in a skillet, place tortillas in oil for 4-5 seconds per side.
- Place approximately 1/4 cup of filling in the middle of each tortilla, roll up, then place in the casserole dish.
- Spoon remaining sauce over enchiladas, top with mozzarella, and cook at 350 F for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese over enchiladas and continue to cook for 15 minutes or until filling is hot.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro, if desired, and serve.